Adding a GL Account: Words, Picture & Video
Updated: Aug 9, 2019
Adding a General Ledger account is about the most fundamental action one can take in an accounting system. It is necessary so that there are "containers" to hold the amounts that a business wants to track. The steps in QBO are as follows:
1) Starting from the Dashboard, go to the Nav bar on the left and at the bottom click “Accounting;”
2) We are now in the Chart of Accounts Screen, look to the upper right and select the button “New;”
3) Let’s set up a Revenue Account that will appear on our Income Statement;
4) The first field is “Account Type” – we select “Income” and QBO uses this designation to know which financial statement this account goes on;
5) Next is “Detail Type” use “Service/Fee Income;”
6) In the "Name" field, type the word "Accounting" at the beginning;
7) If we turned on the ability to have account numbers the "Number" field appears
8) Enter "Description;"
9) If the account is a sub-account then select the "Is sub-account" checkbox and enter the parent account; and
10) Select save and close.
And that’s how to add a GL account. As always, if you have any questions – just give us a call.
The window where you can add a GL account.